E-Activity – Remix and reflection

When science was introduced at school, I was astonished to hear that the sun that we can see high up in  the sky is not the big bright ball that we used to think. So, I came to know about the solar system and my interest grew in knowing about the mystery of the universe.  As I grew up, “Astronomy” became my passion.

From Wikipedia:

Astronomy is a natural science that is the study of celestial objects (such as moonsplanetsstarsnebulae, and galaxies), the physicschemistry,mathematics, and evolution of such objects, and phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth, including supernovae explosionsgamma ray bursts, and cosmic background radiation.

In early times, astronomy only comprised the observation and predictions of the motions of objects visible to the naked eye.From these observations, early ideas about the motions of the planets were formed, and the nature of the Sun, Moon and the Earth in the universe were explored philosophically. The Earth was believed to be the center of the universe with the Sun, the Moon and the stars rotating around it. This is known as the geocentric model of the universe, or the Ptolemaic system, named after Ptolemy.

[Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License]

File:LH 95.jpg

star-forming region in the Large Magellanic Cloud, an irregular galaxy.

[This file is in the public domain]

Later when I heard the word “eclipse”, my interest grew in knowing about the types of eclipses that exists and so I referred to Wikipedia where I came across the following:

An eclipse is an astronomical event that occurs when an astronomical object is temporarily obscured, either by passing into the shadow of another body or by having another body pass between it and the viewer. 

The term eclipse is most often used to describe either a solar eclipse, when the Moon’s shadow crosses the Earth’s surface, or a lunar eclipse, when the Moon moves into the Earth’s shadow. However, it can also refer to such events beyond the Earth-Moon system: for example, a planet moving into the shadow cast by one of its moons, a moon passing into the shadow cast by its host planet, or a moon passing into the shadow of another moon. A binary star system can also produce eclipses if the plane of the orbit of its constituent stars intersects the observer’s position.

As observed from the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes in front of the Sun. The type of solar eclipse event depends on the distance of the Moon from the Earth during the event. A total solar eclipse occurs when the Earth intersects the umbra portion of the Moon’s shadow. When the umbra does not reach the surface of the Earth, the Sun is only partially occulted, resulting in an annular eclipse. Partial solar eclipses occur when the viewer is inside the penumbra.[1]

The eclipse magnitude is the fraction of the Sun’s diameter that is covered by the Moon. For a total eclipse, this value is always greater than or equal to one. In both annular and total eclipses, the eclipse magnitude is the ratio of the angular sizes of the Moon to the Sun.[2]

File:Solar eclipse 1999 4 NR.jpg

Total Solar eclipse 1999 in France

Author:Luc Viatour

[This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported]

w:en:Creative Commons

attributionshare alike

References:

[1]:^ Hipschman, R. “Solar Eclipse: Why Eclipses Happen”. Retrieved 2008-12-01.

[2]:^ Zombeck, Martin V. (2006). Handbook of Space Astronomy and Astrophysics (Third ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 48. ISBN 0-521-78242-2

My reflections:

While searching for the resources for this activity, I got to understand better about the licenses that are associated with the contents. I came to know whether I am permitted to use the information or not and about the conditions attached with the contents.

Though a lot of time was consumed in doing the research work for this activity, I can still agree that Creative Commons has made it quite easy by the user-friendly licenses symbols.

To this post, I am going to apply the RTENOTITLE license.

#OCL4Ed