2nd Learning Reflection

From this second session, I have got the opportunity to know and to think about the advantages and the barriers related to the implementation of Open Educational Resources. Education means sharing, and hence from David Wiley’s video, I realized that education should be absolutely free. Everybody should have the right to get free access to educational resources and they should also have the right to apply the 4R’s that is to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute these resources.

By watching Eben Moglen’s video, I came to know that the word “theft” is being applied to the use of educational resources. In my opinion, this is not right since the educators are not stealing the ideas, they are only referring to these resources to update their own contents so as to give a better quality of education to students. As a teacher, I usually refer to online educational resources to look whether there is an alternative way of approach in explaining a certain topic. My aim is only to build ideas and so, I don’t feel that it is necessary to ask for permissions in letting knowledge grow. Still I agree that the producers should be given respect for their ideas and this is why the sources where these ideas are taken should always be cited.

During this session, I also got the chance to think about the benefits associated with OER in institutions. The Open Educational resources will allow the sharing of ideas to flow from one country to another and hence the chain of knowledge will keep on growing. There will be equality in the quality of education all over the world, in other words, it will be a blessing to people.

To have a better level of education, sharing of knowledge is very important and the best way for sharing ideas is through Open Educational Resources, so why is it taking so much time for OER to become completely free? 

#OCL4Ed